Mid-Atlantic Aviation Partnership.
Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey’s UAS Test Site
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Aviation Partnership.
The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 required the FAA to establish a program to integrate Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) into the National Airspace System (NAS) at 6 Test Sites. Virginia Tech is awarded to lead one of the six Test Sites, and the team includes Maryland and New Jersey. Test Range selection is based on
- Ground infrastructure
- Research needs
- Maintain Safety and Efficiency of the NAS
- Safely designate Airspace for integrated manned and unmanned flight operations
- Develop Certification Standards and ATC procedures
- Address Civil and Private UAS
- Coordinate with the NextGen Program
- Verify Safety and Navigation Procedures